• What Type of Doctor Should I Be Treating With in Order to Claim Disability Benefits?

What type of doctor should I be treating with in order to claim long term disability benefits?

Disability attorney Gregory Dell discusses what type of doctor a claimant should be treating with in order to claim long term disability benefits.

Disability claimants often call us and ask what type of doctor they should be treating with in order to seek long-term disability benefits. The answer to this question is really that you can treat with just about any type of medical doctor for your claim for long-term disability benefits; however, you really should have your main attending physician be a specialist in the field for which you have a disability. For example, let’s assume that you have a neck disorder or a back disorder; you should really be treating with an orthopedic doctor who specializes in conditions of the spine.

Another example, if you have a heart condition, you should have a cardiologist as at least one of your doctors to complete your attending physician’s statement, which has to be sent to the long-term disability carrier in order to meet your burden of proving disability. So the answer is yes, an internal medicine doctor or general practitioner doctor would be acceptable. However, if you’re claiming some type of orthopedic, cardiac, or some type of other part of the body for which there are doctors that specialize, you should see a specialist as that would give you a lot better chance of getting your long-term disability benefits approved and continued to be paid.

Comments (9)

  • Kenny, I would recommend stating with the surgeon to see if they would be willing to complete paperwork on your behalf. If not, you can also rely on your primary care doctor. If you have a copy of your long term disability policy and would like to discuss the policy in detail, please feel free to contact our office.

    Stephen Jessup Nov 21, 2022  #9

  • I had a L 4&5 fusion and a compression fracture on L3&2 I need a Dr that can prescribe long term disability. I’ve worked in heavy industry all my life same employer for 43 years. I can’t do heavy work anymore so who should I see?

    Kenny R. Nov 18, 2022  #8

  • Randi, no they would likely not accept a letter from your psychiatrist as they are not qualified to treat neck and back issues.

    Rachel Alters Sep 2, 2022  #7

  • My employer wants additional medical information from a recent dr. visit to validate my accommodation request which will help my back/neck pain. The additional questions posed can only be answered by a medical provider with an extensive relationship with me and even then would need to consult with me for the answers. The only long term doctor I have is a psychiatrist; would a letter from this type of doctor be deemed acceptable? if not, what am I supposed to do not have a long term medical advocate? it seems that doctors are not comfortable with providing accommodation request recommendations without having more visits with the patient, which will have financial and additional time implication.

    Randi Aug 28, 2022  #6

  • I have carpal tunnel in both hands and wrists I’m having a really hard time doing my job (. Hanging diapers, feeding. Holding, rocking babies can a rheumatologist help me apply for disability?

    Nancy Mar 15, 2022  #5

  • Patrick, we need additional information in order to assess your situation. I am unsure if your claim is for Social Security Disability or whether it is under a private long term disability insurance policy. Either way, please contact us for a free consultation so that we can learn more about your claim and answer any questions that you may have.

    Alex Palamara Jun 13, 2021  #4

  • I have had total knee replacement surgeries on both knees. I have osteoarthritis in both knees all media and plastic, in August of 2020 had revision knee done I the left knee I am seeing my orthopedic surgeon in August of 2021 for a revision of right knee. I am walking with a cane. I just filled out papers to keep my sis disabilty, it’s a review to see if I still qualify. Also had bicep surgery 2 years ago and is seeing the dr on Monday. I am worried they will take me off of as I disability. How do I get permanent disability instead of partial disability? I cannot kneel, squat or walk to long.

    Patrick B. Jun 12, 2021  #3

  • Linda, yes, include all medical records/treatment pertinent to your disabling condition(s).

    Stephen Jessup Apr 25, 2016  #2

  • I have just started the STD phase of my potential LTD after four cervical fusion (C3 to T1), the last three have been in the last three years. After each fusion, I have been left with continual residual and radial pain and burning in both arms. Aside from my orthopedic who is supporting my disability claim, I have a pain management doctor treating me with various narcodics and nerve injections. Can I have the pain management documentation included in my medical information with my MetLife claim?

    Linda Apr 20, 2016  #1

Leave a comment or ask us a question

Questions About Hiring Us

Do you work in my state?

Yes. We are a national disability insurance law firm that is available to represent you regardless of where you live in the United States. We have partner lawyers in every state and we have filed lawsuits in most federal courts nationwide. Our disability lawyers represent disability claimants at all stages of a claim for disability insurance benefits. There is nothing that our lawyers have not seen in the disability insurance world.

What are your fees?

Since we represent disability insurance claimants at different stages of a disability insurance claim we offer a variety of different fee options. We understand that claimants living on disability insurance benefits have a limited source of income; therefore we always try to work with the claimant to make our attorney fees as affordable as possible.

The three available fee options are a contingency fee agreement (no attorney fee or cost unless we make a recovery), hourly fee or fixed flat rate.

In every case we provide each client with a written fee agreement detailing the terms and conditions. We always offer a free initial phone consultation and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you in obtaining payment of your disability insurance benefits.

Do I have to come to your office to work with your law firm?

No. For purposes of efficiency and to reduce expenses for our clients we have found that 99% of our clients prefer to communicate via telephone, e-mail, fax, GoToMeeting.com sessions, or Skype. If you prefer an initial in-person meeting please let us know. A disability company will never require you to come to their office and similarly we are set up so that we handle your entire claim without the need for you to come to our office.

How can I contact you?

When you call us during normal business hours you will immediately speak with a disability attorney. We can be reached at 800-682-8331 or by email. Lawyer and staff must return all client calls same day. Client emails are usually replied to within the same business day and seem to be the preferred and most efficient method of communication for most clients.

Dell & Schaefer Client Reviews   *****

James M.

Dell & Schaefer were the only attorneys that were willing to fight my case with the Reliance Standard disability insurance company. They took a chance even though I had already been rejected by Reliance. They won my case and have helped me to survive through several serious illnesses. They are always quick to respond when there is a question or problem and they are still fighting for me against all odds.

***** 5 stars based on 202 reviews

Speak With An Attorney Now

Request a free legal consultation: Call 800-682-8331 or Email Us