• Do I have to sign the social security reimbursement agreement requested by the disability company?

Do I have to sign the Social Security reimbursement agreement requested by disability company?

Disability insurance attorney Cesar Gavidia discusses whether a claimant must sign the Social Security Disability reimbursement agreement requested by the disability insurance company.

I often get phone calls asking me, “Do I have to sign the Social Security reimbursement agreement that was just sent to me by the insurance company?” You really have to look to your disability policy. If your policy requires that you sign a Social Security reimbursement agreement, which will require you, in essence, to pay back any money that you receive from Social Security Disability while the insurance company also paid you disability benefits, then yes, it’s your obligation and responsibility as the insured to sign that. But often, these insurance policies don’t have those types of stipulations in the language, so you have to look carefully at the policy, and if it says that, then yes; if it doesn’t, then it could be deemed a modification of the contract and you should contact us immediately to discuss what’s going on.

Comments (28)

  • Paula, under the circumstances you describe you can certainly contact CIGNA and try to negotiate for the resolution you suggest. Where it appears to be an equal value of monthly benefits to overpayment they may be amenable to your suggestion. While you do not specify why your claim ends in 10 months be aware that while you are on claim you continue to have coverage under the policy for subsequent intervening disabilities. For example, if your claim is ending because you reach a 24 month maximum benefit period for psychiatric illness and during that 10 months you suffer a disabling physical injury or sickness that may allow you to remain on disability and to be paid beyond 10 months so in the event CIGNA is amenable to your suggestion keep in mind that if this is carried out by virtue of some form of settlement agreement & release you may be giving up your right to this additional coverage. You can always contact our office and speak with one of the attorneys to address the specific questions you have regarding your situation.

    Jay Symonds Jul 13, 2019  #28

  • Hello,
    I am receiving a set amount of LTD every month from Cigna. Now that my dependants SSDI has kicked in it will reduce my Cigna benefit. Of course they want the back pay from the dependants SSDI. I would prefer to keep the back pay for my child and Cigna can keep my monthly benefit. Is something like that ever allowed, legally? The Cigna policy is something my employer provided. It’s not a policy I purchased. The policy expires in 10 months time and I will no longer be eligible for any of the Cigna benefit. It seems convoluted for me to send them $4000 right now and they pay me $3900 over the next ten months.
    Thank you

    Paula Jul 12, 2019  #27

  • Maria, the question of whether your LTD benefits will be offset by the SSDI benefits received by your dependents on account of your disability depends on the terms and conditions of your disability insurance policy. If your disability insurance policy states that your monthly benefit can be offset by other income benefits including SSDI benefits received by your dependents then your monthly LTD benefit will likely be reduced and you will be required to repay any overpayment of benefits.

    Cesar Gavidia Apr 30, 2019  #26

  • Hello, I am on SSDI now and recieve money for myself and my 2 children. Aetna wants the backpay from SSDI. I understand that the money I received is to be repaid, but the money received for the children I do not wish to return. What I have found is that the IRS and SSDI consider that money to belong to the children. Therefore, that money is theirs and does not belong to Aetna. Aetna did not have a contract with them nor did they pay additional money to me for the children.

    Maria Apr 30, 2019  #25

  • Paula, I would refer you to your policy to make sure, but it is unlikely you will not find any information creating an affirmative duty to provide the insurance company with your full SSDI file. That being said, you would have a duty to provide them financial information pertaining to same. I do not see how your failure to provide the company with consent would result in your claim being denied, but it could certainly draw scrutiny.

    Stephen Jessup Apr 18, 2018  #24

  • Is it mandatory to give my disability company consent to a full Account Query of my Social Security records? Would I lose my benefits or would it trigger scrutiny of my case if I want to keep that information private?

    Paula Apr 17, 2018  #23

  • Stephanie, they still have legal rights under the policy regardless of you signing the reimbursement agreement. With respect to your policy, it is your employer’s legal duty to provide you a copy upon request, so if you haven’t asked your HR department for a copy I would strongly suggest you do.

    Stephen Jessup May 6, 2016  #22

  • Hi! I’ve been on LTD for over 20 months. I haven’t signed any reimbursement form. Never read or recieved a policy to know my right. Can Hartford still be reimbursed without my signature.

    Stephanie May 4, 2016  #21

  • Darleen,

    If you continue to receive benefits from Prudential you will have a duty under the policy to apply for SSDI benefits. If you chose to not continue your Prudential benefit for whatever reason you chose then you would obviously have no obligation.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 2, 2015  #20

  • Hi, I’ve been on STD from Prudential for the last six months while I was in the application process for my Pension Disability. I was awarded my pension disability 3 months ago. Prudential want’s me to sign a SSDI recovery form and wants me to apply for SSDI. Do I have to apply for SSDI if I don’t want to? I can get by with not having SSDI nor the small amount from Prudential? My pension is sufficient.

    Thank you.

    Darleen Oct 1, 2015  #19

  • Necey,

    It depends what is the noted “minimum monthly benefit” under the policy. Sometimes it is $0, but most often the policy will pay you the greater of 10% of your gross monthly benefit or $100 dollars, whichever is greater.

    Stephen Jessup Jun 21, 2015  #18

  • If you only get 500$ a month from long term disability and S’s approves you for 1140 why do you owe them all of it?

    Necey Jun 20, 2015  #17

  • Nichole,

    Yes, you would still be obligated to repay any overpayment based on the receipt of SSDI. Many policies have a minimum benefit that will be equal to 10% of the gross benefit our $100. I would suggest you review your policy to determine if Prudential will continue to owe you a minimum benefit despite the benefit being offset completely.

    Stephen Jessup Jun 4, 2015  #16

  • If my LTD IS $500 A month and my SSD Is $1140.. And I get back pay, do I have to pay back the money to prudential? I received a reimbursement agreement to sign which I have not yet done.

    Nichole Jun 3, 2015  #15

  • Paul,

    Cigna would be entitled to collect a repayment of any overpayment for benefits paid that coincide with the time frame SSDI is issuing a benefit. If your first monthly payment came due from SSDI on August 1, and Cigna was paying benefits at that time, under their policy they would be entitled to a repayment.

    Stephen Jessup Nov 29, 2014  #14

  • How far back can the ins. comp. start the overpayment window? For example: I went out on STD in Feb., was on STD until May 11th. LTD was approved on May 22nd. Recieved 1st LTD check on June 5th or 7th, not sure. My LTD carrier is Cigna. I recieved my reward letter from SSD on Nov. 10th. I recieved my first check from SSD, which was my back payment, late Oct. I found out through my attorney I was approved for SSD on Sept. 26th. Cigna is starting the clock on Aug.1st. Is this correct?

    Paul Nov 28, 2014  #13

  • Caren,

    You will need to consult with a family law attorney in order to determine your rights.

    Stephen Jessup Aug 27, 2014  #12

  • I finally received my disability back pay for the 10 years I have been fighting for it. The back pay derivative benefits for my daughter were paid to her father, not to me. Her father and I entered into an agreement 10 years ago that I would pay him child support and I would reimbursed by SSDI if I got approved. I have been paying the father support all these years (in an amount slightly lower that the disability award). He now says he cannot reimburse me, because SSA regulations say the money has to be used only for our daughter’s “current needs.” This is unfair! Is he prohibited from reimbursing me? (Does it matter that a lot of the money I paid her for the child support I had to borrow, so I need the reimbursement to pay back other people?)

    Caren Gorenstein Aug 26, 2014  #11

  • Anette,

    You’re very welcome. I’m glad to see Hartford did the right thing by you.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 17, 2013  #10

  • Thank you Mr. Jessup for all your help! I did call Hartford and they did make a payment arrangement and we’re very very nice about it.

    Anette Oct 16, 2013  #9

  • Anette,

    Then there is realistically anything that can be done to assist you in getting them to agree to a structured repayment.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 15, 2013  #8

  • What if they won’t agree?

    Anette Oct 14, 2013  #7

  • My suggestion would be to contact Hartford to explain your situation to see if there is a way they will work with you on structuring a repayment.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 14, 2013  #6

  • Keith,

    Will an LTD company (Hartford) usually make payment arrangements of backpay for SSDI payments if you need it to have surgery? What happens it you pay it for medical and just send them payments anyway. mi e is only 2088.00. I also have student loans coming in in January that will pay it. I just need it now to cover an out of state surgery.

    Anette Oct 11, 2013  #5

  • Keith,

    I think you should write Aetna and tell them that if they need something specific, to please send a specific authorization or request the specific document and you will get it for them.

    Gregory Dell Feb 1, 2012  #4

  • Dear Sirs,

    I read/watched your segment on filling out the reimbursement agreement to the LTD carrier (which is Aetna for me). I have filled out similar forms on a regular basis from the beginning of getting my LTD in 2006. Such as: PHI (Protected Health Information) agreement, physician statements, income questionnaires, work history and education, authorization to secure award or denial infomation, etc. I have already gone through the process of then being approved for SSD and paid Aetna the overpayment over two years ago. So, in essence, Aetna has all the information on SSD, wages, time frame, etc. This is pretty much all out of the way. Now, I just received another form to fill out called the consent of authorization, Fact Query, Full Account Query, to S.S. from Aetna. This is very intrusive and basically asks for the rights of Aetna to be able to question or view anything from S.S. Which includes: any medicare data, direct deposit data, and numerous other requests. I have been cooperative in filling out all the previous forms, but this is a new and intrusive form that I feel is way overboard and do not feel that this is necessary given the info they already have. I do have the policy and there is no stipulation in filling out specific forms and definitely not this particular one. Should I fill this one out?

    Thank you very much for your time and input.

    Keith Smith Jan 30, 2012  #3

  • Darlene,

    Your Unum policy will specify whether Unum is entitled to reimbursement for your SSDI overpayment. They probably are entitled to be paid the funds you received from SSDI. Please check the Overpayment section of our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.

    Gregory Dell Jan 10, 2012  #2

  • I have been trying since 2004 to get my S.S.D.I. approved, it was finally approved this year with offset date to Nov. 2009. I received a payment from S.S.D.I. I have been receiving my Unum payments since 2004 , but Unum says I must turn all money from A.S.D.I. over to the Unum Co. Is Unum entitled to these money, or am I allowed 2 keep the money myself? Thank you for your assistance.

    Darlene Hall Jan 4, 2012  #1

Leave a comment or ask us a question

Questions About Hiring Us

Do you work in my state?

Yes. We are a national disability insurance law firm that is available to represent you regardless of where you live in the United States. We have partner lawyers in every state and we have filed lawsuits in most federal courts nationwide. Our disability lawyers represent disability claimants at all stages of a claim for disability insurance benefits. There is nothing that our lawyers have not seen in the disability insurance world.

What are your fees?

Since we represent disability insurance claimants at different stages of a disability insurance claim we offer a variety of different fee options. We understand that claimants living on disability insurance benefits have a limited source of income; therefore we always try to work with the claimant to make our attorney fees as affordable as possible.

The three available fee options are a contingency fee agreement (no attorney fee or cost unless we make a recovery), hourly fee or fixed flat rate.

In every case we provide each client with a written fee agreement detailing the terms and conditions. We always offer a free initial phone consultation and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you in obtaining payment of your disability insurance benefits.

Do I have to come to your office to work with your law firm?

No. For purposes of efficiency and to reduce expenses for our clients we have found that 99% of our clients prefer to communicate via telephone, e-mail, fax, GoToMeeting.com sessions, or Skype. If you prefer an initial in-person meeting please let us know. A disability company will never require you to come to their office and similarly we are set up so that we handle your entire claim without the need for you to come to our office.

How can I contact you?

When you call us during normal business hours you will immediately speak with a disability attorney. We can be reached at 800-682-8331 or by email. Lawyer and staff must return all client calls same day. Client emails are usually replied to within the same business day and seem to be the preferred and most efficient method of communication for most clients.

Dell & Schaefer Client Reviews   *****

Leroy A.

I was referred to Dell & Schaefer after several years of dealing with my private disability insurance company and their refusal to pay me. Many law firms refused to take my case as it was not a Social Security Disability case. I retained another law firm prior to Dell & Schaefer and they were not able to get me paid. I was lucky to find Dell & Schaefer. They were able to settle with the disability insurance company to my satisfaction and recover disability benefits for me.

***** 5 stars based on 202 reviews

Speak With An Attorney Now

Request a free legal consultation: Call 800-682-8331 or Email Us