Asurion Employee Files Lawsuit Against Life Insurance Company Of North America For Wrongful Termination Of Long-Term Disability Benefits
A lawyer from Colorado just filed a federal lawsuit in Federal Court of Colorado against the Life Insurance Company of North America (LINA). The Plaintiff, Carl E., was employed by Asurion. This made the Plaintiff eligible and covered by a group disability insurance plan provided by Asurion and administered and funded by LINA.
In Carl E. v. Life Insurance Company of North America, Plaintiff filed this disability lawsuit in order to regain the long-term disability benefits that were wrongfully terminated by LINA.
Case Facts Against LINA
Plaintiff was employed by Asurion from December 1, 2006 until July 3, 2009. On this date, Plaintiff became unable to work due to coronary artery disease, HIV, depression, paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, and the side effects of medication taken to combat these illnesses. Plaintiff filed a timely application for disability benefits.
Termination of Long-Term Disability Benefits by LINA
On or about November 10, 2009, LINA contacted Plaintiff to inform him he would no longer receive disability benefits and that his ERISA claim had been denied. Plaintiff filed for a review of the denial on or about December 14, 2009. However, on or about April 6, 2010, LINA upheld its original denial. Due to exhausting all administrative remedies, Plaintiff has filed this ERISA lawsuit against LINA.
Long-Term Disability Benefit Termination Lawsuit Filed By Plaintiff
According to the terms of the lawsuit, Plaintiff claims that LINA committed the following wrongful actions against the Plaintiff:
- Interpreting the terms of the Plan to mean that capable of performing the material duties of Plaintiff’s employment as it was performed in the national economy and not as it was performed by the insured
- Interpreting the terms of the Plan is arbitrary, capricious, and in error
- Interpreting the terms of the Plan in a more stringent manner than what was originally intended when the terms of the Plan were written
- Terminating the Plaintiff’s long-term disability benefits based on this stringent interpretation of the terms of the Plan
- Terminating the Plaintiff’s long-term disability benefits even when the Plaintiff’s condition meets the stringent interpretation of the terms of the Plan, as the Plaintiff cannot perform the duties of his employment even as it is performed in the national economy
- Giving insufficient notice of the denial of Plaintiff’s long-term disability benefits
- Failing to inadequately state the reasons why the Plaintiff’s long-term disability benefits were terminated
Following Relief Sought By The Plaintiff In This Lawsuit
Due to the wrongful actions committed by LINA, the Plaintiff seeks the following compensation from the Court:
- A judgment against LINA to pay all benefits owed to the Plaintiff
- A judgment against LINA to pay all accrued interest that has accumulated on the benefits owed to the Plaintiff
- A judgment against LINA to reinstate the eligibility of the Plaintiff for future long-term benefits
- A judgment against LINA to pay all future long-term benefits to the Plaintiff for as long as Plaintiff remains eligible under the terms of the Plan
- A judgment against LINA to pay all reasonable attorney fees
- A judgment against LINA to pay all court costs associated with the filing of this lawsuit
- A judgment against LINA to pay all other relief that the Court finds to be fair and just
Resources to Help You Win Disability Benefits
Get Your Cigna Disability Application Approved
Prevent a Cigna Disability Benefit Denial
Negotiate a Cigna Lump-Sum Settlement
Our goal is to negotiate the highest possible buyout of your long-term disability policy.
Policy Holder Rating
Q: Can I add a physical disability claim to my mental health one without seeing a doctor (hard to get an appointment with COVID)?
What Should a Claimant Expect When Suing Cigna or any Other Disability Company for Long Term Disability Benefits?
Is a Claimant's Complaints of Pain Enough to Qualify for Short or Long Term Disability Insurance Benefits?
Is My Insurance Company Allowed to Take An Offset of My Monthly LTD Benefit for Social Security Benefits My Kids Receive As A Result of My Disability?
Is My "No-Fault" Auto Insurance Settlement an Offset Under My Long Term Disability Insurance Policy?
CIGNA Denies Technology Manager under the Own Occupation Provision & Dell Disability Lawyers Wins Appeal
Reviews from Our Clients
Very satisfied with the work of this team. Took well care of my case and took all the necessary time to be responsive and attentive when I had questions. Guided me through recovery and returning to normalcy. All thanks to Jason & Tabitha, thank you!
I’m extremely satisfied with the experience I have had with this firm from day one. The lawyer who has handled my case, Alex, is very efficient and attentive to all my questions and concerns. They are always aware of how my case has gone and they care about my health. I feel optimistic with them because they are very attentive during the process of my claim. I would not hesitate to recommend families and friends if in any situation they need their services. Kathleen as well has been very well and assisted me with this case. I highly appreciate everything they have done for me.
It’s unfortunate when disability insurance companies come after older disabled policyholders just to help their bottom line. It can be a living nightmare the damage they can do to a family. Dell Disability Lawyers are polite, understanding and knowledgeable. They call you back and answer any question you have no matter how unimportant it can be. The amount of stress they took off of myself and family was incalculable. I recommend them highly to take care of any disability case whether it be filing for benefits or reversing a claim decision. They are outstanding.
I could not have been happier or more appreciative of the hard work they performed on my behalf. I was well briefed on my case and it was closed in a timely manner with a financially successful resolution.
Mr. Symonds and Sonia as well as everyone else we have worked with throughout this process have been very helpful, professional and caring to our situation. We are very thankful to have this great team on our side.
Without them my LTD company was dropping my plan with me still suffering from my accident, even with doctor’s statements I’m still disabled. The LTD company didn’t want to advance my policy to the next stage of years of pay. Dell Disability Lawyers saved my policy, and helped to enforce the LTD company’s own policy (for its policy holder, me) that I would be covered still under the LTD policy I had paid for at my previous job, when my accident occurred. These lawyers know what they are doing and can help you too. LTD companies will try to drop you when you still need coverage just because they don’t want to pay on your policy anymore. Don’t let them break contract with ya because they are trying to get out of it. Hit em with legal action to ensure the continuation of your policy you paid for. Dell Disability worked very well for me and continue to do so.
I was denied long term disability benefits from The Hartford after being on it for years. I found Dell Disability Lawyers after doing research online. In a matter of days they responded and explained to me everything that would be done. Dell Disability Lawyers were able to settle my suit against The Hartford very quickly and responded to me quickly. I would definitely recommend this team of lawyers for anyone that is fighting for their disability insurance.
I have had nothing but a great experience with Dell Disability Law Firm. Mr. Alex Palamara and his team went above and beyond my expectations. They will respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner. Thank you once again for taking my case.
This law firm is the best so far. MetLife denied me two times, they appealed two times for me and they won of course. So if you are on disability and want a chance at winning your case use this firm Dell disability lawyers, kind courteous understanding and they get the job done. You won’t be disappointed.