What Are Common Claimant Mistakes When Applying for Unum Disability Benefits?
The application process is the foundation of any long-term disability benefit claim and it is critical to not make an error at this level. Mistakes at the application level will almost always result in a disability benefit denial. Our disability attorneys are familiar with every Unum disability policy and we have helped claimants in every occupation. The most common mistakes we see claimant's make when applying for Unum disability benefits are the following:
- The date of disability selected by claimant is not correct;
- Claimant fails to properly describe their occupational duties;
- Claimant's doctor fails to complete the Attending Physician Statement in a manner that sufficiently states restrictions and limitations;
- Claimant does not have either appropriate medical support or documentation and stops working prematurely;
- Claimant has a pre-existing medical condition which is precluded from coverage;
- Claimant failed to disclose something when policy was purchased and now the carrier want to rescind the policy due to late disclosure;
- Claimant does not want to provide information that Unum is entitled to receive and benefits are either denied or delayed;
- Claimant submits for an interview with Unum and answers questions resulting in a claim denial;
- Claimant submits an application for long term disability benefits at the wrong time.