What is a Functional Capacity Exam (FCE) and should I go to a FCE?
- What is a Functional Capacity Exam (FCE) and Should I Go to an FCE?
Disability attorney Stephen Jessup discusses what a functional capacity exam is and if a disability claimant should attend a FCE.
A Functional Capacity Evaluation or Exam or an FCE is a test that’s a battery of tests that you will be put through to see what your physical capabilities are with regard to work. Usually, it’s going to be weighed against the typical Department of Labor and Dictionary of Occupational title standards of sedentary, light, medium, heavy. Going to one; FCEs can be a double-edge sword. It could come up that there’s nothing wrong with you or, on the flipside, you may have something where it says, “Listen, this person can’t even work at a sedentary level.” And there’s many ways of having them performed; there’s different types.
Insurance companies are always very quick to try to point out that the one you had wasn’t sufficient, it’s unreliable, that theirs is better. So there’s a lot that goes into giving an FCE. FCEs can be wonderful, wonderful evidence of disability, but at the same time can also hurt you. And like statistics, it can be used any which way you want to do it, so it’s very important to know what all your options are before going to have an FCE. If you have any questions, if the insurance company wants to send you to one, or you have a question about your own claim and possibly your doctor’s even referring you to one, or if your doctor is suggesting you undergo have an FCE, give us a call and we can discuss what your options are, what your possibilities are, and what you might be able to expect.
There are 12 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial of Benefits to Former Director of a Multinational IT Consulting Company
- Cigna overturns Short Term Disability Denial and awards Long Term Disability Benefits
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial of Benefits to IT Support Specialist
- Prudential Reinstates Disability Benefits To School Teacher
Read what our clients say about us.
- Celestine D. ·I am a 61 year old Senior Business Analyst. I had been working at a health insurance company for approximately 11 years when I became disabled and have had numerous...› continue
- Kathy C. ·I consulted with Attorney Cesar Gavidia when my disability insurance benefits were cancelled after 4 and a half years, even though my doctor said that there was no...› continue
- Rose L. ·My husband had paid for private disability insurance from the first year he worked. 30 some years later he filed a claim, it was denied. Together we submitted the claim...› continue