What is a Functional Capacity Exam (FCE) and should I go to a FCE?
- What is a Functional Capacity Exam (FCE) and Should I Go to an FCE?
Disability attorney Stephen Jessup discusses what a functional capacity exam is and if a disability claimant should attend a FCE.
A Functional Capacity Evaluation or Exam or an FCE is a test that’s a battery of tests that you will be put through to see what your physical capabilities are with regard to work. Usually, it’s going to be weighed against the typical Department of Labor and Dictionary of Occupational title standards of sedentary, light, medium, heavy. Going to one; FCEs can be a double-edge sword. It could come up that there’s nothing wrong with you or, on the flipside, you may have something where it says, “Listen, this person can’t even work at a sedentary level.” And there’s many ways of having them performed; there’s different types.
Insurance companies are always very quick to try to point out that the one you had wasn’t sufficient, it’s unreliable, that theirs is better. So there’s a lot that goes into giving an FCE. FCEs can be wonderful, wonderful evidence of disability, but at the same time can also hurt you. And like statistics, it can be used any which way you want to do it, so it’s very important to know what all your options are before going to have an FCE. If you have any questions, if the insurance company wants to send you to one, or you have a question about your own claim and possibly your doctor’s even referring you to one, or if your doctor is suggesting you undergo have an FCE, give us a call and we can discuss what your options are, what your possibilities are, and what you might be able to expect.
There are 4 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- A Liberty Life Disability Benefit Denial is Reversed after ERISA Appeal filed by Attorney Alex Palamara of Dell & Schaefer
- Cigna Overturns Denial of LTD Disability Benefits to Off Shore Oil Rigger Suffering From Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Mass Mutual Approves Long Term Disability Benefits For an Oncologist That Suffered Stroke
- Hartford Settles Disability Claim of 60 Year-Old Account Executive After Terminating LTD Benefits
Read what our clients say about us.
- Ken A. DC ·First of all, may I say this: If you are a professional and find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to file a claim against your disability carrier - Do not...› continue
- Jodi C. ·Despite the fact that I work at a law firm who handles different types of cases, I had an incredibly difficult time finding a firm that would take my disability case...› continue
- Hugh ·Dear Cesar, Thank you very much for taking the time to talk to me today about my sister. I want to say how refreshing it is to speak to someone who so obviously has...› continue