Federal lawsuit against Hartford Insurance alleges company refuses to pay disabled Patriot Act analyst
A Federal lawsuit filed in United States District Court Southern District of Florida accuses the Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company of breaching its contract with Branch Banking and Trust (BB&T) and a BB&T employee. Filed by noted disability insurance law firm Dell and Schafer, the suit states that Hartford is refusing to pay benefits to the employee, a U.S. Patriot Act/Anti-Money Laundering Analyst. The refusal by The Hartford violates the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, commonly referred to as ERISA.
The lawsuit states that Hartford claims the analyst is capable of working, despite a medical diagnosis of Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease and migraine headaches. The analyst has been unable to perform one or more of the essential duties of her occupation due to her condition since June of 2006. While Hartford initially agreed to pay the claim, the company reversed its decision, stating that the analyst can continue to work. Doctors, however, say that the analyst is completely disabled under the terms of the Hartford policy.
According to the lawsuit, the analyst and her employer paid premiums to Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company per the terms of the contract, and followed all policies and procedures in submitting the claim. At all times the analyst has been and remains disabled and is entitled to Long Term Disability Benefits under the terms of the policy. While the Social Security Administration approved her disability benefits, Hartford refuses to advise the analyst, or her attorneys, what additional information is needed for the claim to be honored. As a result of Hartford’s refusal to honor its legally binding contract with the analyst, the analyst has been forced to retain legal counsel to represent her in this matter.
The plaintiff seeks entry of judgment against Hartford for damages including but not limited to past due contractual benefits, future benefits, interest, and attorney fees.
There are 2 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial of Benefits to Fedex Employee
- Dell & Schaefer gets Cigna to Reinstate Long Term Disability Benefits for Former Maryland Teacher Suffering from Crohn’s Disease
- MetLife Reinstates Disability Benefits to Attorney on Appeal
- Administrative Appeal by Dell & Schaefer forces Principal Life Insurance Company to Reinstate ERISA Long Term Disability Claim of Former Healthways, Inc. Employee
Read what our clients say about us.
- Annissa M. ·Before I started working with Stephen, I was unsure how I was going to navigate the Long Term Disability process. I had already been denied once and was very...› continue
- Sheila W. ·I would like to make sure that whomever Alex's boss is knows how good he is. He was always was so kind and I felt like he would take good care of me. His opening...› continue
- Janet ·I worked with Rachel Alters, who was very knowledgable about ERISA, my health condition and the best way to present information to my private LTD company. Being...› continue