Federal judge reverses MetLife’s denial of disability benefits
Carolyn Kinser, an employee of Associates First Capital Corporation filed a lawsuit against MetLife for wrongful denial of disability benefits. Ms. Kinser was disabled from her occupation due to bipolar disorder and major depressive order. Ms. Kinser had been under continued care and treatment with the same psychiatrist for more than ten years.
MetLife hired an allegedly independent doctor to review Ms. Kinser’s medical records. After review of Ms. Kinser’s records, the independent doctor advised Met Life that Ms. Kinser’s medical condition was not supported by objective evidence and there was “no documented functional impairment that would preclude plaintiff’s ability to return to work”.
The Federal Judge held that “MetLife was wrong to essentially ignore Dr. Patel’s (Ms. Kinser’s psychiatrist) clearly stated and supported opinion that plaintiff was unable to work in any type of position.” The judge also stated “psychiatric conditions are not easily identifiable by objective measures.” The court also noted that MetLife’s doctor neither examined Ms. Kinser nor spoke with her treating psychiatrist.
Comments are not allowed.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Prudential overturns denial of Long Term Disability Benefits for Vietnam War Veteran after Lawyers from Dell & Schaefer file appeal
- Cigna reverses decision to terminate benefits of claimant suffering from end-stage Myasthenia Gravis
- Disability Attorney Cesar Gavidia Wins Hartford Disability Appeal For Target Employee With Rheumatoid Arthritis and Chronic Neck Pain
- Prudential Overturns Denial of Long Term Disability Benefits to College Professor
Read what our clients say about us.
- Wade S. ·My experience could not have been better. I was instantly made to feel and to know that my best interest was important, that I would be informed of all development in...› continue
- Leza A. ·Desperarate & feeling like I was on a raft floating farther... out to sea. By the time I was diagnosed (It was close to a Year) with Fibromyalgia. I was in so much pain...› continue
- Rev D. ·I contacted Dell & Schaefer after a second denial by my disability insurance company. Initially, I approached the insurance company by myself and my case was denied. I...› continue