Federal judge reverses MetLife’s denial of disability benefits
Carolyn Kinser, an employee of Associates First Capital Corporation filed a lawsuit against MetLife for wrongful denial of disability benefits. Ms. Kinser was disabled from her occupation due to bipolar disorder and major depressive order. Ms. Kinser had been under continued care and treatment with the same psychiatrist for more than ten years.
MetLife hired an allegedly independent doctor to review Ms. Kinser’s medical records. After review of Ms. Kinser’s records, the independent doctor advised Met Life that Ms. Kinser’s medical condition was not supported by objective evidence and there was “no documented functional impairment that would preclude plaintiff’s ability to return to work”.
The Federal Judge held that “MetLife was wrong to essentially ignore Dr. Patel’s (Ms. Kinser’s psychiatrist) clearly stated and supported opinion that plaintiff was unable to work in any type of position.” The judge also stated “psychiatric conditions are not easily identifiable by objective measures.” The court also noted that MetLife’s doctor neither examined Ms. Kinser nor spoke with her treating psychiatrist.
Comments are not allowed.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Cigna Reverses Long Term Disability Denial And Admits Denying Benefits To Attorney Stricken With Parkinson’s Was Wrong
- Hartford ERISA Disability Appeal Victory for a Jet Operator Suffering with Chronic Back Pain
- A Liberty Life Disability Benefit Denial is Reversed after ERISA Appeal filed by Attorney Alex Palamara of Dell & Schaefer
- Cigna Overturns Denial of LTD Disability Benefits to Off Shore Oil Rigger Suffering From Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Read what our clients say about us.
- Rhonda L. ·Gregory Dell has saved my family from bankruptcy. I got sick with Vasculitis and had to undergo 4 years of chemo treatments. I worked during this time as pharmaceutical...› continue
- Agnes X. ·Alex helped me and my brother for multiple cases in the past five years. He earned my trust and confidence through his hard work, attention to detail, well thought plans...› continue
- Steven W. ·"Whatever it Takes", and you can take that to the bank, as I did. I was declared disabled in March 2010 after unsuccessful Back surgeries, CSC Implants, numerous other...› continue