Court upheld Standard’s decision to deny disability benefits
Carol Shepherd, a fork-lift operator for Daramic, was insured under the company’s group disability plan with Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company. In 2004, Ms. Shepherd had an anxiety attack at work and Daramic suspended her and required that she participate in anger management before returning to work. During her suspension, Ms. Shepherd was receiving treatment at Owensboro Medical Health System Outpatient Counseling Center where she was diagnosed with major depression and anxiety disorder.
Prior to her suspension, Ms. Shepherd worked the swing shift but when it was time to return to work she requested the day shift because her treating physician believed the sleep disturbances would aggravate her psychological conditions. When Daramic refused to give Ms. Shepherd the day shift her doctor said she could not return to work and Ms. Shepherd applied for long-term disability benefits.
Reliance denied Ms. Shepherd’s claim stating that she is not totally disabled and had their own reviewing psychiatrist evaluate her medical records. Reliance upheld its denial of benefits on appeal and Ms. Shepherd sued, seeking benefits under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
After reviewing the case, U.S. Judge Joseph H. McKinley Jr. of the Western District of Kentucky found that Reliance’s decision to deny benefits was reasonably supported by Ms. Shepherd’s medical record. The judge rejected Ms. Shepherd’s claim that Reliance failed to conduct a personal psychological evaluation since the company’s psychiatrist “thoroughly reviewed Ms. Shepherd’s medical record and relied on the evidence therein to form his opinion.” Judge McKinley found that there was no competent medical proof in the record to support a disability claim.
See Carol Shepherd v. Reliance Standard Life Insurance Co., No. 4:06CV-83, W.D. Ky.; 2007 U.S. Dist..
Request a Free Consultation
Click Here or call 800-682-8331 Now.
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Deputy’s Long Term Disability Claim Reinstated Following Appeal by Disability Attorney Alexander Palamara
- Fresenius Medical Care North America Employee Wins Disability Appeal With CIGNA
- Hartford has a Pattern of Conducting Surveillance on a Claimant’s Birthday
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial Of Benefits To Former Excel Energy Employee
Read what our clients say about us.
- Lisa S. ·I was treated above and beyond my expectations from the very first phone call to the signing of my settlement check. Stephen and his assistant Kathleen were always quick...› continue
- Jimmy H. ·I contacted Jay Symonds with Attorneys Dell & Schaefer, he was the lead attorney on my case. I was very happy with every aspect of how my case was handled. Jay kept me...› continue
- Jo Ann M. ·I contacted Stephen Jessup when I was appealing the decision to terminate my LTD benefits. I did not proceed with his services at that time but because of his...› continue