Can I earn money while I collect long term disability benefits?
- Can I Earn Money While I Collect Long Term Disability Benefits?
Disability attorney Gregory Dell discusses if a claimant is able to earn income while receiving long term disability benefits.
Disability claimants often ask me if they can earn money through some other method besides just collecting their long-term disability benefits. The answer to this question really depends on the language in your policy. If you have an own occupation definition of disability, then the likelihood is that you could work in some type of different occupation and earn money. However, if you don’t have an own occupation definition of disability, the probability is that if you earned any kind of money in some other profession, that any money you earn would be offset from your disability benefit payment.
So if you were earning $3,000 a month in a long-term disability benefit payment and you had some other occupation that paid you $1,500 a month, for example, the likelihood is that the disability carrier may claim an offset of $1,500, which would leave you with $1,500 left of your monthly benefit. So if you have specific questions about your policy and whether you can work and continue to collect your disability benefits, go ahead and give us a call and we’ll be happy to answer your questions.
There are 3 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Lincoln Reversed Decision to Deny Benefits of Project Manager Suffering from Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicranial Cluster Headaches
- Liberty’s Decides to Terminate Benefits to a Claimant with Multiple Sclerosis Based on 40 Minutes of Surveillance Video
- Benefits Reinstated: Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Cigna’s Decision to Deny Benefits for MetroPCS Wireless Employee with HIV
- MetLife Removes 24 Month Limitation for Mental Health Condition for Financial Advisor
Read what our clients say about us.
- Rev D. ·I contacted Dell & Schaefer after a second denial by my disability insurance company. Initially, I approached the insurance company by myself and my case was denied. I...› continue
- Katherine K. ·My experience was great. My attorney treated me with respect, kept me informed, and acted in my best interest. Why would you recommend Attorneys Dell &...› continue
- Christine C. ·I had a very positive experience working with Dell & Schaefer. While attempting to handle it on my own, my long-term-disability claim had been denied two previous times...› continue