Can I earn money while I collect long term disability benefits?
- Can I Earn Money While I Collect Long Term Disability Benefits?
Disability attorney Gregory Dell discusses if a claimant is able to earn income while receiving long term disability benefits.
Disability claimants often ask me if they can earn money through some other method besides just collecting their long-term disability benefits. The answer to this question really depends on the language in your policy. If you have an own occupation definition of disability, then the likelihood is that you could work in some type of different occupation and earn money. However, if you don’t have an own occupation definition of disability, the probability is that if you earned any kind of money in some other profession, that any money you earn would be offset from your disability benefit payment.
So if you were earning $3,000 a month in a long-term disability benefit payment and you had some other occupation that paid you $1,500 a month, for example, the likelihood is that the disability carrier may claim an offset of $1,500, which would leave you with $1,500 left of your monthly benefit. So if you have specific questions about your policy and whether you can work and continue to collect your disability benefits, go ahead and give us a call and we’ll be happy to answer your questions.
There are 9 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click Here or call 800-682-8331 Now.
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Deputy’s Long Term Disability Claim Reinstated Following Appeal by Disability Attorney Alexander Palamara
- Fresenius Medical Care North America Employee Wins Disability Appeal With CIGNA
- Hartford has a Pattern of Conducting Surveillance on a Claimant’s Birthday
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial Of Benefits To Former Excel Energy Employee
Read what our clients say about us.
- Jo Ann M. ·I contacted Stephen Jessup when I was appealing the decision to terminate my LTD benefits. I did not proceed with his services at that time but because of his...› continue
- Jeff T. ·The best advice I received when I started the process of filing my disability insurance claim was to hire the best, most experienced disability insurance lawyer...› continue
- Beth W. ·My experience with attorney Stephen Dell and his ace paralegal, Merlin Bryan, was first rate. I am an attorney who found herself disabled at a relatively young age (52)...› continue