Seizures (non-epileptic) Disability Insurance Benefits Claim

Disability insurance carriers often challenge a diagnosis of seizures. How Can Disability Insurance Attorneys Dell & Schaefer Assist You?

As disability attorneys, Dell & Schaefer have represented long term disability claimants that have been unable to work as a result of non-epileptic seizures. Seizures are usually associated with other physical conditions that a person may be suffering with.

Disability Attorneys Dell & Schaefer have an expansive understanding of the significant restrictions and limitations that a person suffering with non-epileptic seizures must live with on a daily basis. We have worked closely with top physicians in order to sufficiently satisfy a disability carrier’s threshold of evidence necessary to prove that a client is disabled by non-epileptic seizures.

Not everyone suffering from suffering non-epileptic seizures qualifies for long-term disability benefits, therefore the medical records of each client must be reviewed to determine the level of restrictions. We welcome the opportunity to discuss your long-term disability claim. You can contact us for a free initial consultation.


There are many valuable sources of to non-epileptic seizure information available. You can also access resources over the internet such as:

Comments (34)

  • John, do you have disability insurance coverage privately or through an employer? If so, you could explore the possibility of filing a claim. If you have a policy and would like top discuss your options please feel free to contact our office to discuss.

    Stephen Jessup Sep 10, 2020  #34

  • I was just now diagnosed with PNES. I still fall on the floor from stress every now and then and I can’t handle going out of the house more than a couple of hours a day. I’m on K*, a betta blocker for my migraines because the worse my migraines get the more episodes I have and I’m on another anti seizure medicine also. I’m unsure of where to go or what to do from here.

    John S. Sep 10, 2020  #33

  • Virginia, although we have had success in proving a psychological condition to be a physical condition, it has always been based on the specific facts in the medical file and the support of treating physicians. As it relates to the chances of getting covered again there are two issues that would likely bar that possibility – (1) If you never filed an appeal as it relates to the closure of your claim in 2016 you would be barred to bring legal action and (2) even if you had, it is likely that the Statute of Limitations to bring a law suit against Standard would have also expired. The waiver of premium benefit on the life insurance policy is still active due to the fact the life insurance policy does not have a limitation for mental health conditions that was found in the long term disability policy. Limitations for mental health conditions are found in the vast majority of employer provided disability policies.

    Stephen Jessup Feb 12, 2020  #32

  • I had short term disability coverage through the Standard Insurance company then long term up to 2 years because my disability is psychogenic non epileptic seizures and conversion disorder. They told me if I could prove it was a physical disability they would continue coverage. I was not able to find a diagnosis that was physical. I still have life insurance through them because they recognize I still am disabled. I’m wondering if you may have experience proving a psychological disability is actually a physical one. My disability started April 2014. Coverage ended in 2016 I believe. It may have been too much time since. It just bothers me every year, when I fill out the paperwork for the life insurance that they recognize my disability but won’t give me coverage. Is there any chance for me to get covered and/or back pay? I do not qualify for social Security because I was a stay at home mom and don’t have enough work credits.

    Virginia B. Feb 12, 2020  #31

  • Jen, in order to best assess your situation we would need to see a copy of the policy in order to advise you what you are able to do with respect to work and still earn benefits. Please contact our office to discuss further.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 15, 2019  #30

  • I was recently diagnosed with pnes. I had 16 siezure’s in 3 days and haven’t been able to work for over a week now but Ive discussed with my employer to work part time because I have 3 children. He brought up short term disability but that would be technically partial std. Would I be able to work part time probably less due to appts with doctors and my psychiatrist and still be able to receive partial short term disability? I was full time and would be knocked down quite a bit to support my family.

    Jen Oct 15, 2019  #29

  • Deandra, I believe you may qualify for Social Security Disability. You can apply for it on line or go to your local office.

    Rachel Alters Dec 1, 2018  #28

  • Hello, I was diagnosed with PNES 4 years ago. Since then I have tried to work part time jobs. Less than 20 hrs a week total, being a cashier. I have been unable to keep my job due to my PNES. I no longer attend social events, go shopping, do anything as I once did before I became ill with PNES. My life has not been the same since.

    What do I do to find out if I can recieve disability or some kind of help?

    Thank you.

    Deandra Nov 30, 2018  #27

  • Sarah, it sounds like you are going through a lot. Please contact us so that we can learn more about your claim to see if there is a way that we can assist you.

    Alex Palamara Sep 22, 2018  #26

  • Since 2015 passed out 2 times at work history of falling, ongoing ER visits, mediivaced once to alaska native medical center in Anchorage Alaska. A lot of providers from Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital (SSMH) in Barrow Alaska where i live thinks I have some kind of seizures, but in my history I passed out due to SVT-Heart conditions, now today finally had a long video-EGG in Tacoma Seattle Hospital in Swedish Neuroscience Institute Hosptial as a inpatient for a week, now the doctor that I saw for the first time said I have none Epeleptic seizures. I had questions about syncope, but Seattle doctor said I don’t have that. Is it because I never even had a seizure while I was inpatient their, nothing happened while I was in there from 1 visit for a week? but the Providers from SSMH said I have syncope.

    I applied for Social Security before even seen by Seattle, what do I do, in the begging was told not to work for 6 months from Anchorage Hospital, now days I been excused from work more then many times because of passing out alot for the past months FYI. Needed to fill out FMLA forms for our Supervisor, and this week just for missing work sometimes, doctor forgot to tell me if I can drive now, stll have work but always excused when things happen, thank you.

    Sarah Sep 21, 2018  #25

  • Kira, did your employer provide you with any type of short or long term disability as a benefit? If so, a claim could be warranted under same. If not, your only option would be filing for Social Security if you have requisite credits paid into the system. Our office handles disability claims under private and employer provided disability policies. However, please feel free to contact our office and we can assist you in getting in touch with an attorney that handles SSDI claims to discuss your options.

    Stephen Jessup Aug 5, 2018  #24

  • My name is Kira. I started having non-epileptic seizures around 13, I am now 28. I have been diagnosed with severe ptsd, severe anxiety, major depression disorder, conversion disorder, OCD and ADHD. I have been unable to work since November of last year when I had a seizure at work (I am a certified medical assistant) they quickly sent me home and then fired me due to being a safety hazard. I have not been able to keep a job longer than 6 months since I was 17. I either get asked to leave or quit showing up.

    I cannot drive due to the seizures. I have to be 6 months seizure free before I can get it back. I don’t leave my home much due to my anxiety disorder. I am in intensive therapy every week. I am just wondering if i would be able to get ssi for it?

    Kira W. Aug 4, 2018  #23

  • Matt, is this a Group/Individual Disability Policy claim with a private insurance carrier or is it a Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) claim that has been denied?

    Jay Symonds Apr 11, 2018  #22

  • My name is Matt. 2 years ago I got diagnosed with temper lobe epilepsy that afterwards got switched to PNES Psychogenic non epileptic seizures. After having 30 seizures a month till taken off medication I went to see a psychologists when told by a doctor and she took me off my medication and said I didn’t need anymore doctors appointments because what is going on meds are not doing anything for me. That was 10-20-16 and a few day later got my first denial. Haven’t seen a doctor since and now 4 weeks before my hearing I had a meeting with my lawyer and he said my medical records are not recent enough and he might drop my case. I did everything the lawyer and doctors said to do and I’m still having 4-8 seizures a month.

    Matt S. Apr 10, 2018  #21

  • Adam, you should contact our office and discuss your options with one of the attorneys.

    Jay Symonds Feb 16, 2018  #20

  • I have developed a recent case of pyschogenic non epileptic seizures due to nightmares and anxiety from PTSD from my army days. Have you ever worked a case with that kind of diagnoses? And if so can you tell me the success rate with good documentation? I have short term and long term disability through my employer.

    Thank you

    Adam Feb 15, 2018  #19

  • Jensen, if you do not have a disability insurance policy from an employer your only option may be to file for Social Security disability if you are eligible for same.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 25, 2017  #18

  • I have been experiencing seizures and we are pretty sure that I am experiencing non-epileptic seizures. It effects me everyday, making it very difficult to complete everyday tasks. I am not even able to hold a job. I need to know what to do while I am going through studies to be diagnosed with Non-epileptic seizures. I am a single mother and need an income… I’m not sure what to do…

    Jensen D. Oct 25, 2017  #17

  • Dena, if you have a medical condition that would prevent you from working and your doctors would support you then you do have the makings of a case for disability. If you have a copy of your long term disability insurance policy please feel free to contact our office to discuss your options under same.

    Stephen Jessup Aug 25, 2017  #16

  • I started having seizures in January of this year (2017). I have never had them before this time. They came out of no where. I have a family history of seizures but, the family are second cousins. I have NOT been able to drive since I had the first seizure in January. My Neurologist says I have to be seizure free for 90 days but I always end up having another one before the 90 days are up. I have seen 2 different Neurologist and now seeing a specialist. I have to have an EEG with video test done at the end if August. I can’t remember what happens during my seizures and either my mother or husband has to tell me. One of the Neurologist asks me what happens after I have a seuzure. I have to tell him I don’t know all I can tell him is what I am told. I get the feeling he thinks I am lying but I AM NOT. I keep a migraine off and on as well as getting sharp tjrobbing pains either in my temples, back of head, top of head,or all of the above at the same time. I get confused, dizzy, and since I have started having my seizures my memory has gotten a LOT WORSE. I need to know if you as lawyers think I would be able to file for long term disability for this. My Neurologist did allow me to get a permanent handicapped parking card. I don’t know if this will help when I get the final diagnose. I am hoping I will know the final diagnose before I leave the hospital. What do you as lawyers think, do I have a case for long term disability?

    Dena Aug 22, 2017  #15

  • Sondra, if you have a disability insurance policy with your employer and your condition is preventing you from performing your occupational duties you can explore filing a claim for disability benefits. If you’d like a free consultation and review of your policy please feel free to contact our office to discuss.

    Stephen Jessup Apr 27, 2017  #14

  • Hi. About a year ago I started having seizures at the age of 41 years old. I have had a lot of them over the last year. Taken several different medications and and had all the test and been hospitalized for some test. Never caught any seizures while hospitalized. My licensed are expired because I don’t ever go longer than a week without a seizure. I work a full time job a pharmacy tech and this has changed my life tremendously. I am currently taking trokendi 200 crazy which has help the best than all the others but it’s still not under control. What can I do?

    Sondra Apr 25, 2017  #13

  • Cindy, if you have a short term disability policy and you are unable to work due to your medical condition then I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to make application for benefits.

    Stephen Jessup Dec 13, 2016  #12

  • I am currently in hospital for possible new onset seizures. No convulsions. If they tell me I cannot drive to work for three months (I live 45 minutes from work) can I apply for STD for this? I have no one to drive me cause I work night shift 11-7.

    Cindy Dec 12, 2016  #11

  • Eve,

    If your condition impairs your ability to work and you have valid, enforceable benefits under a disability insurance plan through your employer then you could reasonably make a claim for benefits. However, the success of same would be hard to determine without any information. Please feel free to contact our office with a copy of your LTD policy and we would be more than happy to discuss your options.

    Stephen Jessup Sep 15, 2015  #10

  • I have POTs syndrome and non epileptic seizures and was wondering if I might cold get on long term disability? Has anyone on here got it with either one of these health problems?

    Eve Sep 14, 2015  #9

  • Kim,

    I am assuming you are not working based on your inquiry. If that is the case then unless you have a privately purchased disability policy then we would not be able to assist you in securing a disability benefit.

    Stephen Jessup Jul 20, 2015  #8

  • I have non-epileptic seizures but I want to work. I think they are considered a disability but don’t know. At this point they keep forcing me out of work, I can’t afford not to work and then I have to pay my own health insurance. They last 2-3 seconds then I’m fine, I do office work. Then they harssas me till I leave. Millions of people work with disabilities every day. Can you help me? Thank you.

    Kim Kimrey Jul 19, 2015  #7

  • ERT,

    Insurance companies will often acknowledge a diagnosis but argue that the records do not indicate symptoms that rise to the level of disability- it seems that this is what they are essentially doing to you. Please contact our office to discuss what your options are at this point.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 25, 2014  #6

  • I applied for short term disability benefits after taking time off at the request of both my neurologists during a major medication change. I have Epilepsy and had just recently been diagnosed and showing symptoms of severe narcolepsy. Due to treatment of both my health was not doing well and I was in a high stress hostile work environment. For my well being they urged me to take medical leave and collect on STD benefits. I have been denied twice, after transcripts, therapist notes, pharmaceutical records and EEG testing for new seizure activity had been sent. I don’t know what to do. Is this right? They say I’m not disabled.

    ERT Oct 24, 2014  #5

  • Vickie,

    In question number 1 it does not seem there is anything you can do. In question 2, if you are concerned that your benefits may be denied or limited, then you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible.

    Gregory Dell Feb 27, 2013  #4

  • Thank you Greg.

    Update: I did receive SSDI which was approved and I have Lincoln Financial for my LTD and they did adjust their payments to me but I have a few questions:

    1. I have a 17 and a 14 year old still at home. My 16 year old lives with his father and address is unknown and father is not to have contact with two children in my care. All court ordered. SSDI granted me an amount and each children $190 a month. I do not get my son’s who is 16… they set up an account at SS office but the LTD company deducts that out of my income. Is there anything I can do about this?

    2. I have epileptic seizures but after $40,000 of medical bills during last year and multiple hospital stays they are leaning toward non-epileptic seizures r/t passed psychical abuse from ex-husband. Per the LTD company they don’t cover pre-existing conditions or mental disorders. At this point should I get an attorney? I know documentation is critical and psychogenic seizures vs. epileptic seizures are difficult to determine which one unless seen during EEG, but for my security very important.

    Thank you.

    Vickie Feb 26, 2013  #3

  • Vickie,

    If your plan is to remain on disability due to your inability to work, then you need to make sure that you treat with your doctors regularly and make sure your doctors are documenting in your medical records that you cannot work. You may want to consider applying for SSDI benefits if you feel that you have a permanent disability that will prevent you from returning to any work. You also want to make sure that your employer provides Long Term Disability insurance and not just Short Term Disability.

    Gregory Dell Jun 14, 2012  #2

  • I have been recently diagnosed with complex partial seizures and I am on short term disability and unable to drive. I am a RN with hospice and had gone though over 300 entries in court because an abusive ex. Your web site suggests that seizures could be caused from phycological stress but all the neurologist I have seen, along with my two abnormal EEG state that my anxiety and seizures are separate. I was thinking it was stress because I have way more than the normal person.

    My question is supporting my family. STD pays me half of my normal income, I am 50 and I am the sole supporter of a 13 & 16 year old. What do I need to do moving forward? BTW my 16 year old started having gran. mal. seizures last year, 10 months prior to my diagnose. He suffered same abuse but now no longer sees his father?!

    Vickie Liupakka Jun 13, 2012  #1

Leave a comment or ask us a question

Questions About Hiring Us

Do you work in my state?

Yes. We are a national disability insurance law firm that is available to represent you regardless of where you live in the United States. We have partner lawyers in every state and we have filed lawsuits in most federal courts nationwide. Our disability lawyers represent disability claimants at all stages of a claim for disability insurance benefits. There is nothing that our lawyers have not seen in the disability insurance world.

What are your fees?

Since we represent disability insurance claimants at different stages of a disability insurance claim we offer a variety of different fee options. We understand that claimants living on disability insurance benefits have a limited source of income; therefore we always try to work with the claimant to make our attorney fees as affordable as possible.

The three available fee options are a contingency fee agreement (no attorney fee or cost unless we make a recovery), hourly fee or fixed flat rate.

In every case we provide each client with a written fee agreement detailing the terms and conditions. We always offer a free initial phone consultation and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you in obtaining payment of your disability insurance benefits.

Do I have to come to your office to work with your law firm?

No. For purposes of efficiency and to reduce expenses for our clients we have found that 99% of our clients prefer to communicate via telephone, e-mail, fax, sessions, or Skype. If you prefer an initial in-person meeting please let us know. A disability company will never require you to come to their office and similarly we are set up so that we handle your entire claim without the need for you to come to our office.

How can I contact you?

When you call us during normal business hours you will immediately speak with a disability attorney. We can be reached at 800-682-8331 or by email. Lawyer and staff must return all client calls same day. Client emails are usually replied to within the same business day and seem to be the preferred and most efficient method of communication for most clients.

Dell & Schaefer Client Reviews   *****


I contacted Dell & Schaefer for assistance with an LTD claim. Jay Kanter handled my case and was not only diligent but also brought a lot of knowledge and experience that ultimately made the process go as smooth as possible. There was communication throughout the whole process and all of my questions were answered as he was supportive and totally understanding of my situation. The paralegals who worked with this case were also excellent. I felt supported and would recommend this firm to anyone. I am most certainly glad I reached out.

***** 5 stars based on 202 reviews

Speak With An Attorney Now

Request a free legal consultation: Call 800-682-8331 or Email Us