Can I live outside of the United States and collect long-term disability insurance benefits under my individual or group long-term disability insurance policy?

Answer: Like most answers to questions regarding long-term disability insurance the answer is predicated on the terms and conditions of the long-term disability insurance policy in question.

Foreign residency limitations will serve to either deny coverage and preclude payment of long-term disability benefits if the insured resides outside of the U.S. for a specified period of time, often six (6) months or more, or it will limit payments to a specified period of time, often no more than 12 months, if the insured resides outside of the U.S.

Most policies are silent regarding limitations on residency requirements, and the disability insurer will not deny or terminate a claim solely on the basis that the insured resides outside of the U.S. However, it is not uncommon to find a foreign residency limitation in many individual and group long-term disability policies. The existence of a foreign residency limitation in a policy will primarily benefit the disability insurance company. In fact, I can’t think of many benefits to the insured except that maybe treating physician support, to the satisfaction of the insurance company, may be easier to establish if claimant resides in the U.S. However, it is primarily a way for the disability insurer to ensure that it will always have the ability to easily manage the claim, interact with treating physicians without the existence of a language barrier, and of course to monitor the claimant – it can be difficult to conduct frequent surveillance of the insured when they reside in China or Europe.

If a disability claim is challenged on the basis of a foreign residency limitation it often involves the insurance company’s perception that the insured is spending more time in a foreign country than in the U.S. To wit, that the insured is not just spending a few weeks or months in their Bahamas timeshare, but rather, established residency and domicile there. Indeed, it is a question of fact and one can expect to have to produce substantial evidence establishing that they continue to reside within the U.S., e.g., copies of U.S. passport, including tourist visas; utility bills; federal and state income tax returns; property tax statements, etc…

If you have a concern regarding a foreign residency limitation in your individual or group long-term disability insurance contract, please do not hesitate to contact us. The consultation is free.

Comments (24)

  • Susan, many individual disability insurance policies (policies you purchase yourself through an agent) have limitations with respect to residing outside of the United States. If you work outside of the country for a US employer, and your employer provides group disability coverage you should be eligible for coverage. If you are looking to purchase your own policy you should contact various companies such as Guardian, Northwestern Mutual, MassMutual, Principal or Standard and see what they can offer coverage wise given your unique situation.

    Stephen Jessup Jun 25, 2020  #24

  • Are there particular insurance companies which are stronger in the area of insuring US citizens (with disability ins.) who know they will be residing outside the US for most of the time?

    Susan Jun 25, 2020  #23

  • Dario, while some policies do require that you be in the USA to receive benefits others do not. Your policy will govern. The only way we can answer your question is if we were to review the governing policy.

    Alex Palamara Mar 6, 2020  #22

  • My group LTD policy is silent about residency so there is not any residency requirements. My LTD claim of 4 years is administered by Sun Life. Can I relocate to a European country for over 6 months or permanently without losing my benefits given I will have English speaking doctors there?

    Dario Mar 6, 2020  #21

  • David, in order to answer your question we will have to review a copy of the policy governing your claim as some policies require that you live in the USA in order for benefits to be paid. Please locate a copy of your policy and contact us for a free consultation.

    Alex Palamara Feb 14, 2020  #20

  • I am currently being paid benefits under a long-term disability policy with Reassure America Corporation (Jackson National Life Insurance Company). Can I relocate to a European nation permanently or six months at a time without losing my benefits? I have a lifetime policy and have been receiving benefits since 1999.

    David B. Feb 14, 2020  #19

  • Dorothy, you should check your disability policy for any limitations that could apply to your claim. Some policies require that you live in the United States to continue to receive benefits. The frequent traveling could also be scrutinized by Prudential depending on the nature of your disabling symptoms.

    Victor Peña Mar 18, 2019  #18

  • I have been on disability for autoimmune conditions for 30 years and Prudential is the provider. I am considering g u.i g a small condo in Mexico and keeping a small condo here and traveling g between the two countries each month because I have to come back .o they for treatments I can’t get outside the US. I will probably be spending 3 weeks in Mexico and a week here each month because the cost of living is so much lower there. Will this cause me any problems with disability payments? I will be renting out each of the condos while I am not there on a short term basis.

    Dorothy Mar 18, 2019  #17

  • April, typically, if there are residency requirements to receiving benefits it would be stated in the policy. Additionally, quite often when there is a residency requirement Canada is noted as being an exception so you should be ok. You can also contact Sun Life to make sure. As a side note – Sun Life is a Canadian company so that alone should make it no issue if you move to Canada. Just remember, you will still need to comply with all policy provisions to keep your benefits so make sure to continue medical treatment while in Canada. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact our office.

    Stephen Jessup Mar 10, 2019  #16

  • Hi, I have been covered under Sunlife Financial long term disability since March 2016 after I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis. This was covered by employer while I was on work visa. Now we are moving to Canada for 12 months. Will I be covered under my long term disability? When I looked in to the policy it does not mention anything related to Foreign residency requirements.


    April Mar 10, 2019  #15

  • Sara, there is no set year as to when a carrier added these provisions, and not all policies have such language. To determine if you have such a requirement in your policy you will need to review the language contained therein.

    Stephen Jessup Aug 6, 2018  #14

  • July 1993 policy

    Hello, I have a 1993 policy, what year did private disability insurance company’s start adding foreign residency restrictions?

    Sara Aug 5, 2018  #13

  • Lucinda, you should refer to your Lincoln long-term disability policy since disability policies often contain foreign residency restriction provision that only allow you to receive disability benefits while you reside in the United States. If your policy contains a foreign residency restriction provision your monthly disability benefits will end if you decide to reside outside of the United States.

    Cesar Gavidia Jul 30, 2018  #12

  • I am receiving long term disibility from Lincoln Financial. My family and I are planning on going to Costa Rico. We will still have our home in the United stares. Will my benefits end if I move there?

    Lucinda N. Jul 29, 2018  #11

  • Gabriel, there could be depending on your policy. Sometimes one must be in the USA in order to continue to receive benefits. It depends on your policy. Please contact us as there are a few question that we have concerning your claim and if you provide answers I may be able to provide more insight.

    Alex Palamara Jul 27, 2018  #10

  • Hi
    I have long term disability with Unum Provident.
    Have been collecting it for 25+ years and I am 68.
    For past few years I have been living in Israel and the cost of medical care here is cheaper.
    Are there any issues with this foreign residency ?

    Gabriel M. Jul 26, 2018  #9

  • Bibek, you should review your disability policy to see if there are any foreign residency restrictions. Your location when you sustain a disabling injury is typically not the focus of attention for a disability carrier. However, the fact that you will be living in a foreign country could be a problem if there is a foreign residency restriction in your policy.

    Victor Pena May 25, 2018  #8

  • Bibek! I am currently planning to go to my country which is suffering a lot from earthquakes! It’s like everyday now! So I have to never there to take care of my family ! So what if I got hurt in earthquake in Nepal and not in New York (current place) will I receive disability benefits ??

    Bibek May 24, 2018  #7

  • Charles, if there is no residency requirement, then yes they should, so long as you continue to meet all the terms and conditions of the policy.

    Stephen Jessup Jan 2, 2018  #6

  • I have drawn long term benefits from unum for over 20 years. Head injury, post trauma tic stress, major depression and anxiety. My policy is lifetime and is silent about my living location. Shouldn’t they continue to pay if I move abroad and continue medical treatment?

    Charles L. Jan 1, 2018  #5

  • Andrew, if it is an employer provided policy you need to request from your former employer. If you do end up residing outside the US or Canada (most policies with residency requirements allow for Canada) your policy will likely be terminated once the maximum time frame allowed to be outside the US is up. Many disability policies have residency requirements that are enforceable so it is crucial to know exactly what your policy allows with respect to same.

    Stephen Jessup Oct 3, 2017  #4

  • I am in a similar situation with Guardian Insurance. I just got my claim awarded and they are telling me that I can’t be out of the USA for more than two months. I am in Guatemala where there is excellent medical care. The company’s case manager ignores my requests for clarification and a copy of my policy. How do I get around this requirement, which they failed to mention to me until I inadvertently told them I was moving here.

    Andrew W. Sep 29, 2017  #3

  • WMD, we would need to see a copy of your policy along with any documentation from Lincoln. Please feel free to contact our office and discuss your claim with Cesar to best determine what your options are.

    Stephen Jessup Dec 6, 2016  #2

  • Cesar,

    I ran across your page while doing an internet search. I am a cancer survivor and am receiving LTD benefits through Lincoln Financial Group. I have been in Thailand the last three months and would like to stay as long as possible. I find the medical care is as good, if not better, than in US, it I should certainly much cheaper, and it tends to fit my current lifestyle better. For example, due to the side effects of medication I take, I am unable to drive, etc.

    I just got an email from Lincoln wanting to review my claim and stating they will not ho or my claim if I live outside of the US for more than 12 months.

    My questions are, first, and most obvious, is there a way around this? As far as managing my case, all my physicians here speak English, so language should not be an issue. Second, if I am required to maintain a residence in the US, what constitutes maintaining a residence? Do I have to physically be in the US for a period of time? Have a US mailing address, etc?

    WMD Dec 2, 2016  #1

Leave a comment or ask us a question

Questions About Hiring Us

Do you work in my state?

Yes. We are a national disability insurance law firm that is available to represent you regardless of where you live in the United States. We have partner lawyers in every state and we have filed lawsuits in most federal courts nationwide. Our disability lawyers represent disability claimants at all stages of a claim for disability insurance benefits. There is nothing that our lawyers have not seen in the disability insurance world.

What are your fees?

Since we represent disability insurance claimants at different stages of a disability insurance claim we offer a variety of different fee options. We understand that claimants living on disability insurance benefits have a limited source of income; therefore we always try to work with the claimant to make our attorney fees as affordable as possible.

The three available fee options are a contingency fee agreement (no attorney fee or cost unless we make a recovery), hourly fee or fixed flat rate.

In every case we provide each client with a written fee agreement detailing the terms and conditions. We always offer a free initial phone consultation and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you in obtaining payment of your disability insurance benefits.

Do I have to come to your office to work with your law firm?

No. For purposes of efficiency and to reduce expenses for our clients we have found that 99% of our clients prefer to communicate via telephone, e-mail, fax, sessions, or Skype. If you prefer an initial in-person meeting please let us know. A disability company will never require you to come to their office and similarly we are set up so that we handle your entire claim without the need for you to come to our office.

How can I contact you?

When you call us during normal business hours you will immediately speak with a disability attorney. We can be reached at 800-682-8331 or by email. Lawyer and staff must return all client calls same day. Client emails are usually replied to within the same business day and seem to be the preferred and most efficient method of communication for most clients.

Dell & Schaefer Client Reviews   *****

Lonnie W.

My case was not an extremely large case but I was always treated as if it was the most important case. My attorney always returned my calls in a timely manner and answered my questions with patience and in a language that I could understand.

***** 5 stars based on 202 reviews

Speak With An Attorney Now

Request a free legal consultation: Call 800-682-8331 or Email Us