What is an “own occupation” definition of disability?
- What is an "own occupation" Definition of Disability?
An own occupation provision, is the most favorable to an insured to have in a policy. With own occupation, the insurance company is going to constantly look at what job you were performing at the time you became disabled.
What one needs to understand is, you may have bought the policy 20 years ago and you were practicing medicine at that time. However you had a change of careers, you decided you wanted to pursue something else, and for instance, you decided to become a bricklayer. You become disabled at the time you were a bricklayer. The insurance company is not going to look to determine whether or not you can be a doctor any more, they are going to look at whether or not you can be a bricklayer. So own occupation will carry through constantly in transition. Maybe you bought the policy when you were a bricklayer; you went back and became a doctor. They are going to review it as if you were a doctor.
There are 4 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Dell & Schaefer Wins Disability Appeal against Cigna for Mortgage Banker
- Dell & Schaefer successfully appeal denial by Liberty Life
- Cigna Reinstates Long Term Disability Benefits to Medical Coder
- Cigna reverses its decision to terminate benefits of a claimant with Fibromyalgia, Cervical Spine Spondylosis and Depression
Read what our clients say about us.
- Ed T. ·Mr Dell and paralegal Merlin Bryan are an excellent team. It was a pleasure to have them working for me under what was a very stressful personal situation. They kept me...› continue
- Ron K. ·I was on disability with a major insurance company for five years without any problems, upon a field rep's visit to my home, I let him know that I was planning to try to...› continue
- O. Lee ·My experience with Dell & Schaefer has and continues to be, outstanding. First, I would personally like to thank Cesar for his experience and expertise in handling my...› continue