What is an “own occupation” definition of disability?
- What is an "own occupation" Definition of Disability?
An own occupation provision, is the most favorable to an insured to have in a policy. With own occupation, the insurance company is going to constantly look at what job you were performing at the time you became disabled.
What one needs to understand is, you may have bought the policy 20 years ago and you were practicing medicine at that time. However you had a change of careers, you decided you wanted to pursue something else, and for instance, you decided to become a bricklayer. You become disabled at the time you were a bricklayer. The insurance company is not going to look to determine whether or not you can be a doctor any more, they are going to look at whether or not you can be a bricklayer. So own occupation will carry through constantly in transition. Maybe you bought the policy when you were a bricklayer; you went back and became a doctor. They are going to review it as if you were a doctor.
There are 4 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Hartford Buys Out Disability Policy Following Appeal
- Dell & Schaefer Appeal Successful, Cigna reinstates Long Term Disability Benefits for Lockheed Martin Employee
- Cigna Reinstates Benefits to Software Engineer Suffering From Chronic Back Pain
- Lincoln Reversed Decision to Deny Benefits of Project Manager Suffering from Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicranial Cluster Headaches
Read what our clients say about us.
- Leza A. ·Desperarate & feeling like I was on a raft floating farther... out to sea. By the time I was diagnosed (It was close to a Year) with Fibromyalgia. I was in so much pain...› continue
- Rev D. ·I contacted Dell & Schaefer after a second denial by my disability insurance company. Initially, I approached the insurance company by myself and my case was denied. I...› continue
- Katherine K. ·My experience was great. My attorney treated me with respect, kept me informed, and acted in my best interest. Why would you recommend Attorneys Dell &...› continue