What is a residual disability income claim?
- What Is a Residual Disability Income Claim?
Disability attorney Gregory Dell discusses what a residual disability income claim is. and what a claimant should be aware of before filing a residual disability income claim.
Residual disability is a complicated provision that’s contained in many long-term disability policies. Many people will claim residual disability because of the fact that they’re disabled, yet they continue to work in their occupation. Residual disability is often defined as the inability to perform one ore more duties of your occupation, or it can be defined as unable to perform your duties for the same amount of time as you used to be able to perform them.
An example of how you would calculate a residual disability income would be if you were working 50% of the time you used to work and you’re making 50% of your pre-disability earnings, then you would receive 50% of your benefit because you had a 50% loss of income. So if your benefit was $5,000 and you had a 50% loss of income, you would receive $2,500 a month monthly benefit. Calculation of your residual disability benefit can be complicated because the disability carrier will often ask you for a lot of information. Some examples of things they’ll ask for could be your tax returns for the past five years, your monthly profit and loss statements for the past two or three years, copies of your physician, copies of your production reports, and sometimes they’ll even go as far as asking for bank account statements.
So if you’re considering a residual disability claim, there are lots of issues that you should be aware of and there are often many things that you can do to maximize your recovery under a residual disability claim. The last thing you really need to be aware of with a residual disability claim is that there are many policies that require you to be totally disabled for a certain period of time before you can claim residual disability. If you have any questions regarding a residual disability claim, please contact us at your convenience.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Florida Nurse wins long term disability benefits from UNUM after Disability Attorney Alex Palamara wins ERISA Appeal
- After Initially Being Denied Long Term Disability Benefits, Dell & Schaefer Gets Former Wal-Mart Employee on Claim with Liberty Mutual
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial of Benefits to Quality Control Inspector
- Prudential Agrees to Reinstate Long Term Disability Benefits for an Employee of DRS Technologies who suffers from very severe back issues
Read what our clients say about us.
- Esther S. ·I was very anxious and cautiously optimistic about getting back my disability benefits from Prudential. From my first call, Stephen explained the procedure in depth...› continue
- Barbara S. ·Rachel Alters is a very compassionate, professional and trustworthy attorney. She got my claim accepted expeditiously which has made this very stressful time in my...› continue
- Michael F. ·Having had several lung surgeries including a wedge resection, lobe removal and pleurodesis as well as MAC lung disease, I was diagnosed with stage vi (end stage) COPD...› continue