Can my long term disability claim be denied for a pre-existing condition?
- Can My Long Term Disability Claim Be Denied for a Pre Existing Condition?
Disability attorney Stephen Jessup discusses if a claimant’s disability claim can be denied due to a pre-existing condition.
Your long-term disability claim can be denied for a pre-existing condition; however, it’s a very fact-specific analysis as to how it’s going to happen. For instance, on a private policy you purchased on your own, if you failed to disclose a medical condition on the application for benefits and then later on you file a claim for that same condition, the insurance company, in conducting their review of your entitlement to benefits, will get medical records. If they see that there is a condition that you didn’t disclose on the application, they will more than likely deny your claim for a pre-existing condition. On top of that, there’s a good chance that they’ll rescind the policy, no matter how old it is as for almost making a fraudulent misrepresentation on the policy.
Now on ERISA-governed group policies you get through your employer, for the most part, as soon as you become employed if there’s a waiting period to become eligible, you’re going to be covered under the plan. However, they do have pre-existing condition clauses contained therein. Usually a safe bet is if you haven’t filed a claim for disability within a year of being covered under your employer’s plan, more than likely you’re not going to fall into a pre-existing condition situation. However, all policies do differ, so if you do have questions, contact us and we can definitely review the policy for you.
There are 28 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Dell & Schaefer convinces Sun Life to Overturn Denial of Long Term Disability Benefits for a Person Suffering from Severe Cervical Disorders
- Hartford Agrees to Overturn its Previous Denial of Long Term Disability Benefits for an Employee of Adventist HealthCare who suffers from RSD/Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Florida Nurse wins long term disability benefits from UNUM after Disability Attorney Alex Palamara wins ERISA Appeal
- After Initially Being Denied Long Term Disability Benefits, Dell & Schaefer Gets Former Wal-Mart Employee on Claim with Liberty Mutual
Read what our clients say about us.
- Donald M. ·I was getting nowhere with my absence management company. They cut off my only source of income two weeks before I was to go on long term disability. They kept giving me...› continue
- Marlene D. ·When I saw myself in the need to seek legal advise, I didn't quite know where to turn, since I hadn't needed one ever before. So... keeping up with the times, I turned...› continue
- Thomas S. DVM ·When I first thought about a disability claim and what was required to qualify, I met with Greg Dell and he clearly spelled it all out for me. He quickly advised me...› continue