Can a long-term disability insurance company claim an overpayment once a claimant is approved for social security disability income benefits?
- Social Security Disability Offsets in Disability Insurance Claims
Most group long-term disability policies contain a deductible source of income provision. It is very rare to see an individual long-term disability policy with a social security offset. A deductible source of income is also known as an offset.
Social Security Disability Income benefits (SSDI) are almost always considered a deductible source of income. SSDI is only one type of deductible source of income commonly found in group long-term disability policies. If a disability carrier has been paying you long-term disability benefits for 20 months and you get awarded SSDI benefits which are retroactive to 15 months prior, then your disability carrier will claim that you were overpaid for 15 of the past 20 months and you must pay the retroactive SSDI award to your long-term disability carrier. In addition, each month moving forward, your disability carrier will reduce your monthly benefit amount by the amount of your monthly SSDI check.
For example, if SSDI is paying you $1,600 a month and your disability carrier was previously paying you $3,000 a month, then your long disability carrier will now only pay $1,400 a month. Essentially the United States government just saved the disability insurance company $1,600 a month.
I generally tell clients that are approved for SSDI not to spend their retroactive award of disability benefits as their disability carrier will be asking them to turn over the full amount.
There are 740 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click Here or call 800-682-8331 Now.
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Deputy’s Long Term Disability Claim Reinstated Following Appeal by Disability Attorney Alexander Palamara
- Fresenius Medical Care North America Employee Wins Disability Appeal With CIGNA
- Hartford has a Pattern of Conducting Surveillance on a Claimant’s Birthday
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial Of Benefits To Former Excel Energy Employee
Read what our clients say about us.
- Lisa S. ·I was treated above and beyond my expectations from the very first phone call to the signing of my settlement check. Stephen and his assistant Kathleen were always quick...› continue
- Jimmy H. ·I contacted Jay Symonds with Attorneys Dell & Schaefer, he was the lead attorney on my case. I was very happy with every aspect of how my case was handled. Jay kept me...› continue
- Jo Ann M. ·I contacted Stephen Jessup when I was appealing the decision to terminate my LTD benefits. I did not proceed with his services at that time but because of his...› continue