Can a long-term disability insurance company claim an overpayment once a claimant is approved for social security disability income benefits?
- Social Security Disability Offsets in Disability Insurance Claims
Most group long-term disability policies contain a deductible source of income provision. It is very rare to see an individual long-term disability policy with a social security offset. A deductible source of income is also known as an offset.
Social Security Disability Income benefits (SSDI) are almost always considered a deductible source of income. SSDI is only one type of deductible source of income commonly found in group long-term disability policies. If a disability carrier has been paying you long-term disability benefits for 20 months and you get awarded SSDI benefits which are retroactive to 15 months prior, then your disability carrier will claim that you were overpaid for 15 of the past 20 months and you must pay the retroactive SSDI award to your long-term disability carrier. In addition, each month moving forward, your disability carrier will reduce your monthly benefit amount by the amount of your monthly SSDI check.
For example, if SSDI is paying you $1,600 a month and your disability carrier was previously paying you $3,000 a month, then your long disability carrier will now only pay $1,400 a month. Essentially the United States government just saved the disability insurance company $1,600 a month.
I generally tell clients that are approved for SSDI not to spend their retroactive award of disability benefits as their disability carrier will be asking them to turn over the full amount.
There are 612 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Liberty Mutual Twice Denies and Approves Long-term Disability Benefits to IT Systems Analyst with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Dell & Schaefer convinces Sun Life to Overturn Denial of Long Term Disability Benefits for a Person Suffering from Severe Cervical Disorders
- Hartford Agrees to Overturn its Previous Denial of Long Term Disability Benefits for an Employee of Adventist HealthCare who suffers from RSD/Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Florida Nurse wins long term disability benefits from UNUM after Disability Attorney Alex Palamara wins ERISA Appeal
Read what our clients say about us.
- Donald M. ·I was getting nowhere with my absence management company. They cut off my only source of income two weeks before I was to go on long term disability. They kept giving me...› continue
- Marlene D. ·When I saw myself in the need to seek legal advise, I didn't quite know where to turn, since I hadn't needed one ever before. So... keeping up with the times, I turned...› continue
- Thomas S. DVM ·When I first thought about a disability claim and what was required to qualify, I met with Greg Dell and he clearly spelled it all out for me. He quickly advised me...› continue