Can a long-term disability insurance company claim an overpayment once a claimant is approved for social security disability income benefits?
- Social Security Disability Offsets in Disability Insurance Claims
Most group long-term disability policies contain a deductible source of income provision. It is very rare to see an individual long-term disability policy with a social security offset. A deductible source of income is also known as an offset.
Social Security Disability Income benefits (SSDI) are almost always considered a deductible source of income. SSDI is only one type of deductible source of income commonly found in group long-term disability policies. If a disability carrier has been paying you long-term disability benefits for 20 months and you get awarded SSDI benefits which are retroactive to 15 months prior, then your disability carrier will claim that you were overpaid for 15 of the past 20 months and you must pay the retroactive SSDI award to your long-term disability carrier. In addition, each month moving forward, your disability carrier will reduce your monthly benefit amount by the amount of your monthly SSDI check.
For example, if SSDI is paying you $1,600 a month and your disability carrier was previously paying you $3,000 a month, then your long disability carrier will now only pay $1,400 a month. Essentially the United States government just saved the disability insurance company $1,600 a month.
I generally tell clients that are approved for SSDI not to spend their retroactive award of disability benefits as their disability carrier will be asking them to turn over the full amount.
There are 606 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- After Initially Being Denied Long Term Disability Benefits, Dell & Schaefer Gets Former Wal-Mart Employee on Claim with Liberty Mutual
- Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Denial of Benefits to Quality Control Inspector
- Prudential Agrees to Reinstate Long Term Disability Benefits for an Employee of DRS Technologies who suffers from very severe back issues
- Standard Overturns Denial of Disability Benefits to Chiropractor
Read what our clients say about us.
- R. R. ·I am very pleased that Mr. Gavidia was able to get my husbands disability insurance with Cigna re-instated. It took time, due to Cigna & the games they play. It is also...› continue
- Tracy L. ·Stephen is an incredible attorney. He helped me tremendously and if I did not retain his services and expertise, I would have gotten a big fat zero. My case was...› continue
- Dorothy L. ·My experience with Dell & Schaefer was wonderful. I don't think that my Disability would have been reinstated if it hadn't been for this firm.Why would you recommend...› continue