Can a long-term disability insurance company claim an overpayment once a claimant is approved for social security disability income benefits?
- Social Security Disability Offsets in Disability Insurance Claims
Most group long-term disability policies contain a deductible source of income provision. It is very rare to see an individual long-term disability policy with a social security offset. A deductible source of income is also known as an offset.
Social Security Disability Income benefits (SSDI) are almost always considered a deductible source of income. SSDI is only one type of deductible source of income commonly found in group long-term disability policies. If a disability carrier has been paying you long-term disability benefits for 20 months and you get awarded SSDI benefits which are retroactive to 15 months prior, then your disability carrier will claim that you were overpaid for 15 of the past 20 months and you must pay the retroactive SSDI award to your long-term disability carrier. In addition, each month moving forward, your disability carrier will reduce your monthly benefit amount by the amount of your monthly SSDI check.
For example, if SSDI is paying you $1,600 a month and your disability carrier was previously paying you $3,000 a month, then your long disability carrier will now only pay $1,400 a month. Essentially the United States government just saved the disability insurance company $1,600 a month.
I generally tell clients that are approved for SSDI not to spend their retroactive award of disability benefits as their disability carrier will be asking them to turn over the full amount.
There are 552 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- United States District Judge Rules that Unum’s Decision to Deny Continued LTD Benefits Was Wrong because It Failed to Consider Relevant Evidence
- Dell & Schaefer successfully appeal denial by Liberty Life
- Cigna Reinstates Long Term Disability Benefits to Medical Coder
- Cigna reverses its decision to terminate benefits of a claimant with Fibromyalgia, Cervical Spine Spondylosis and Depression
Read what our clients say about us.
- Ed T. ·Mr Dell and paralegal Merlin Bryan are an excellent team. It was a pleasure to have them working for me under what was a very stressful personal situation. They kept me...› continue
- Ron K. ·I was on disability with a major insurance company for five years without any problems, upon a field rep's visit to my home, I let him know that I was planning to try to...› continue
- O. Lee ·My experience with Dell & Schaefer has and continues to be, outstanding. First, I would personally like to thank Cesar for his experience and expertise in handling my...› continue