Can a long-term disability insurance company claim an overpayment once a claimant is approved for social security disability income benefits?
- Social Security Disability Offsets in Disability Insurance Claims
Most group long-term disability policies contain a deductible source of income provision. It is very rare to see an individual long-term disability policy with a social security offset. A deductible source of income is also known as an offset.
Social Security Disability Income benefits (SSDI) are almost always considered a deductible source of income. SSDI is only one type of deductible source of income commonly found in group long-term disability policies. If a disability carrier has been paying you long-term disability benefits for 20 months and you get awarded SSDI benefits which are retroactive to 15 months prior, then your disability carrier will claim that you were overpaid for 15 of the past 20 months and you must pay the retroactive SSDI award to your long-term disability carrier. In addition, each month moving forward, your disability carrier will reduce your monthly benefit amount by the amount of your monthly SSDI check.
For example, if SSDI is paying you $1,600 a month and your disability carrier was previously paying you $3,000 a month, then your long disability carrier will now only pay $1,400 a month. Essentially the United States government just saved the disability insurance company $1,600 a month.
I generally tell clients that are approved for SSDI not to spend their retroactive award of disability benefits as their disability carrier will be asking them to turn over the full amount.
There are 568 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Surveillance Video and Independent Medical Examination (IME) Leads to Disability Insurer Terminating Disability Claim After Paying Partially Disabled Insurance Agents Claim For 21 Years
- Cigna Approves Any Occupation Disability Benefits After Two Appeals
- Prudential Overturns Denial for Dell & Schaefer Client Suffering With Serious Back Conditions
- After Long Fight for Short Term Disability Benefits, MetLife Has Now Approved Dell & Schaefer Client for Long Term Disability Benefits
Read what our clients say about us.
- Jill L. ·As an attorney who found herself in the shoes of a litigant against an insurer on a disability policy, I found Cesar Gavidia and his assistant Michal, wonderful. I was...› continue
- Ed T. ·Mr Dell and paralegal Merlin Bryan are an excellent team. It was a pleasure to have them working for me under what was a very stressful personal situation. They kept me...› continue
- Ron K. ·I was on disability with a major insurance company for five years without any problems, upon a field rep's visit to my home, I let him know that I was planning to try to...› continue