Can a long-term disability insurance company claim an overpayment once a claimant is approved for social security disability income benefits?
- Social Security Disability Offsets in Disability Insurance Claims
Most group long-term disability policies contain a deductible source of income provision. It is very rare to see an individual long-term disability policy with a social security offset. A deductible source of income is also known as an offset.
Social Security Disability Income benefits (SSDI) are almost always considered a deductible source of income. SSDI is only one type of deductible source of income commonly found in group long-term disability policies. If a disability carrier has been paying you long-term disability benefits for 20 months and you get awarded SSDI benefits which are retroactive to 15 months prior, then your disability carrier will claim that you were overpaid for 15 of the past 20 months and you must pay the retroactive SSDI award to your long-term disability carrier. In addition, each month moving forward, your disability carrier will reduce your monthly benefit amount by the amount of your monthly SSDI check.
For example, if SSDI is paying you $1,600 a month and your disability carrier was previously paying you $3,000 a month, then your long disability carrier will now only pay $1,400 a month. Essentially the United States government just saved the disability insurance company $1,600 a month.
I generally tell clients that are approved for SSDI not to spend their retroactive award of disability benefits as their disability carrier will be asking them to turn over the full amount.
There are 528 opinions so far. Add your comment now.
Request a Free Consultation
Click here or call 800-682-8331 now!
We respond the same day.
We represent disability insurance claimants all over the United States.
We have handled thousands of disability claims and you can read about them.
- Benefits Reinstated: Dell & Schaefer Successfully Appeals Cigna’s Decision to Deny Benefits for MetroPCS Wireless Employee with HIV
- MetLife Removes 24 Month Limitation for Mental Health Condition for Financial Advisor
- Principal Approves Long Term Disability Benefits for Surgeon
- Attorney Alex Palamara Wins Disability Appeal Against Cigna for Lockheed Martin Employee
Read what our clients say about us.
- Katherine K. ·My experience was great. My attorney treated me with respect, kept me informed, and acted in my best interest. Why would you recommend Attorneys Dell &...› continue
- Christine C. ·I had a very positive experience working with Dell & Schaefer. While attempting to handle it on my own, my long-term-disability claim had been denied two previous times...› continue
- Thomas D. ·Alex Palamara with Dell & Schaefer, is an OUTSTANDING disability lawyer that you can TRUST without question. My entire experience with Alex Palamara of Dell & Schaefer...› continue